Governance on Consumer Markets
Midori TANI / Ryozo HAYASHI
Credits / Language / Semester
2Credits / English / Summer
Well-functioning consumer markets are the base for economic activities. Consumer markets provide major source of demand for businesses. However, recent changes in consumer markets not only brought additional value to consumers but also pose new challenges to the sound functioning of consumer markets. If consumer markets do not function properly, businesses are given incentives to carry out undesirable conducts such as deceiving consumers and hide information on accidents, leading the economy to deteriorate.
This course will look into measures for prevention of fraudulent businesses, product safety and protection of intellectual property rights.
Consumer market, governance, consumer problem, consumer policy, fraudulent business, product safety, intellectual property right,
2. Changes and Problems in Consumer Markets
3. Overview and Classification of Measures
4. Preventing Fraudulent Businesses 1: Regulations
5. Preventing Fraudulent Businesses 2: Guidelines
6. Preventing Fraudulent Businesses 3: Sharing Information/Internalization of Norms
7. Presentations by Students 1
8. Product Safety 1: Regulations
9. Product Safety 2: Voluntary Standards
10. Product Safety 3: Sharing Information/Internalization of Norms
11. Presentations by Students 2
12. Special lecture: Protecting Intellectual Property Rights including Preventing Counterfeits
13. Visit to the Patent Office
Most of the classes will be lectures with Q&A.
Two classes will be presentations by the students.
Grading will be based upon the class participation and a final report.
Midori TANI “A Properly Functioning Consumer Market as the Backbone of the Japanese Economy”
Midori TANI “Japan’s Consumer Policy”
OECD “Consumer Policy Toolkit”
OECD “Report on Consumer Protection in Online and Mobile Payments” http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/science-and-technology/report-on-consumer-protection-in-online-and-mobile-payments_5k9490gwp7f3-en
Notes on Taking the Course
Active participation in the class is required.