Internatinal Students

Formalities after Arriving in Japan



Resident Card

You will receive 'Resident Card' at an airport (Narita/Haneda) at the time of your arrival in Japan. This card is very important ID in Japan, so please be sure to carry it with you always.

You must register your address at a ward/ city office in area you live within 14days after you decide your address.

For address registration, you need:
1. Resident card
2. Passport

If you change your address, you must go through both moving out and moving in procedures at a current ward/city office and a new ward/city office within 14 days. Please be sure to submit a photocopy (both sides) of the revised resident card to your International Student Adviser.



(1) 在留カード
(2) パスポート

"Kokuho" National Health Insurance Program

All international students who stay in Japan for 3 months or longer must join the National Health Insurance Program. You can register at your ward/city office. The insurance premium has to be paid monthly once registration is completed. If you go to a hospital due to illness or injury, the National Health Insurance Program will cover 70% of your medical expenses. You will be responsible for payment of the remaining 30% of your medical costs while at the hospital. When you visit a hospital, remember to bring your national health insurance card with you.



Extension of Period of Stay

As an international student (with a resident status of 'Student'), you may stay in Japan for one of the following period: 6months, 1 year, 1 year and 3 months, 2 years, 2 years and 3 months, 3 years, 3 years and 3 months, 4 years, 4 years and 3 months. If you stay in Japan for a longer period to proceed to a higher educational level or to be promoted to a higher class, you will need to extend your period of stay. You will need to take necessary steps at the appropriate immigration bureau before your initial period of stay expires. Usually, the immigration bureau will accept your application forms up to three months before the expiration date. Since the immigration bureau is particularly crowded in March, April, September and October, it is suggested that you act as early as possible.



Temporally Leave

When you leave Japan temporarily, you must submit "Notice of Travelling Abroad" to the International Student Adviser before leaving Japan. (PDF, 111KB)

If you travel in Japan for more than 5 days, please notify your international student adviser by email.



Part-time Jobs

Because the purpose of your stay in Japan is study and research, your resident status is that of "Student". You are not permitted to work part-time or join internship (even without salary). You must apply for and obtain "Permission to Engage in Activities other than Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted" prior to working part-time or joining internship.

With the permission, both regular students and exchange students are allowed to work part-time for a maximum of 28 hours a week.

You can apply for this permit at an airport when you newly arrive in Japan, or at the immigration bureau later.

You may not work part-time during any temporary absence from school.