Professor Toshiro Nishizawa presented policy proposals for fiscal stabilization in Lao PDR at ASEAN Workshop hosted by Policy Research Institute (PRI), a think tank, at Japan’s Ministry of Finance.
Professor Nishizawa served as a lead researcher since March 2018 in preparing policy proposals under the Joint Policy Research and Dialogue Program for Fiscal Stabilization in Lao PDR, which was completed in January 2020. Experts from both Laos and Japan gave input on the underlying research work coordinated by the JICA Laos Office with the support of the National Institute for Economic Research (NIER).
A final report with a set of seven policy proposals was submitted to Deputy Prime Minister Mr. Somdy Douangdy in the presence of Mr. Keizo Takewaka, Ambassador of Japan to Lao PDR, on January 7, 2020.
- Strengthening public finance management and governance
- Raising tax revenues by strengthening enforcement and broadening the taxpayer base
- Maximizing efficiency gains and positive externalities of fiscal expenditures
- Implementing effective public debt management
- Minimizing fiscal risks due to contingent liabilities
- Creating the institutional base for a well-functioning financial system
- Improving the use of fiscal and related statistics for policy monitoring and planning purposes