Caution around the summer holidays
Unfortunate accidents generally occur to university students during the summer vacations. Though we have issued daily warnings to students regarding the following incidents, more attention is necessary among laboratory colleagues and circle members.
< Prevention of alcohol related accidents >
Alcohol related accidents often occurs among university students because of the holiday seasons. Therefore please be aware of the following.
- Driving while intoxicated, or aiding and abetting in it.
- Encouraging those under age 20 to drink or drinking while under the age of 20.
- Forcing others to drink or intentionally pressuring them to drinking shots down-in-one (including the so called Ikki-Nomi, or drinking games as a form of punishment for the loser).
Before drinking, please pay attention to your health as well as the physical conditions of the others. If you find someone losing consciousness due to intoxication, be sure not to leave them alone. As it is a matter of life and death, necessary care must be taken, including calling for an ambulance.
<Compliance to laws and regulations>
In addition to the aforementioned must-not-do list, attention needs to be paid to the following so that you do not run afoul of the laws and regulations.
- Use or possession of illegal drugs such as cannabis, marijuana, or other synthetic variants.
- Posting inappropriate messages on the internet.
- Sexual harassment and/or assault.
Everyone is responsible for their own actions but sometimes things may end with unexpected consequences. Please spend your daily life responsibly and with decency as a student of the University of Tokyo.
◎ In the summer, heat stroke also tends to occur. Please make efforts to supply sufficient hydration.
◎During the holidays, researchers and students tend to be absent from their laboratories. Please make sure to lock doors while nobody is inside so that your personal belongings as well as other items are not stolen.
Needless to say, please be aware that if you transgress laws, the rules and regulations of the University of Tokyo, or the role as a university student, you may be disciplined based on the relevant rules. Please make the most of your student life being responsible and being conscious that you are a student of the University of Tokyo.