download graspp user website pdf tell external home arrow_down arrow_left arrow_right arrow_up language mail map search tag train downloads

東京大学公共政策大学院 | GraSPP / Graduate School of Public Policy | The university of Tokyo

渡日後の手続き Formalities after arriving in Japan

Resident card

You will receive ‘Resident Card’ at an airport (Narita/Haneda) at the time of your arrival in Japan. This card is very important ID in Japan, so please be sure to carry it with you always.

You must register your address at a ward/ city office in area you live within 14days after you decide your address.

For address registration, you need:
1. Resident card
2. Passport

If you change your address, you must go through both moving out and moving in procedures at a current ward/city office and a new ward/city office within 14 days. Please be sure to submit a photocopy (both sides) of the revised resident card to your International Student Adviser.

“Kokuho” National Health Insurance Program

All international students who stay in Japan for 3 months or longer must join the National Health Insurance Program. You can register at your ward/city office. The insurance premium has to be paid monthly once registration is completed. If you go to a hospital due to illness or injury, the National Health Insurance Program will cover 70% of your medical expenses. You will be responsible for payment of the remaining 30% of your medical costs while at the hospital. When you visit a hospital, remember to bring your national health insurance card with you.

Extension of period of stay

As an international student (with a resident status of ‘Student’), you may stay in Japan for one of the following periods: 6months, 1 year, 1 year and 3 months, 2 years, 2 years and 3 months, 3 years, 3 years and 3 months, 4 years, 4 years and 3 months. If you stay in Japan for a longer period to proceed to a higher educational level or to be promoted to a higher class, you will need to extend your period of stay. You will need to take the necessary steps at the appropriate immigration bureau before your initial period of stay expires. Usually, the immigration bureau will accept your application forms up to three months before the expiration date. Since the immigration bureau is particularly crowded in March, April, September and October, it is suggested that you act as early as possible.

Temporally leave

When you leave Japan temporarily, you must submit a “Notice of Travelling Abroad” to the International Student Desk before leaving Japan. (PDF 111KB)

If you travel in Japan for more than 5 days, please notify the International Student Desk by email.

Part-time jobs

Because the purpose of your stay in Japan is to study and research, your resident status is that of a “Student”. You are not permitted to work part-time or join an internship with a salary). You must apply for and obtain “Permission to Engage in Activities other than Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted” prior to working part-time or joining an internship with a salary.

With permission, both regular students and exchange students are allowed to work part-time for a maximum of 28 hours a week.

You can apply for this permit at an airport when you newly arrive in Japan, or at the immigration bureau later.

You may not work part-time during any temporary absence from school.


Typically, scholarships are only available to students who have already been accepted into a program of study at the University of Tokyo. All scholarship application information will be notified by email from the International Student Desk, if you submit the necessary documents in advance. Recruiting is especially concentrated from October to April. There is only a slim chance of being awarded a scholarship because of high competitiveness. If you want to be granted, you will have to apply over and over.

If an organization accepts you as a scholarship student, be sure to send a letter to it expressing your gratitude and informing it of your intended career path when you finish receiving stipends.

Enrollment confirmation signature

Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholars (KOKUHISEI) / Gakushu Shoureihi Scholars / Koryukyokai Scholars must provide their signature each month within a specified term (usually within the first 3 days of the month) to confirm their enrollment. By providing a signature on time, the monthly stipend will be transferred to your savings account within the month.

If you do not come to provide your signature, you will not receive any stipend for the month.

Changing address or phone number

When you change your address, phone number, or e-mail address, please be sure to inform the International Student Desk. Also, please follow the procedures below:

1. Report the change of address to the post office: Mail to your old address will be delivered to your new address for one year free of charge. Please fill out the post office forms to report your change of address at the post office that is closest to your old address. Or, you can use the following website for application:

2. Address registration/National Health Insurance: Fill out a form to report your change of address at the old ward office and give back your health insurance card. Then, go to a new ward office for address registration and receive a new health insurance card within 14 days after moving to your new address.