We are actively engaged in international exchange, with a current total of 14 partner universities. Students at both GraSPP and partner schools can enjoy the opportunity to enroll in a diverse range of classes together whilst creating new friendships and experiencing each other’s culture. Under the dual degree programs, students can obtain degrees from both the University of Tokyo and the partner university upon satisfying the graduation requirements of both degrees.
GraSPP’s 14 Partner Schools
GPPN (Global Public Policy Network)
GraSPP is a member of the Global Public Policy Network (GPPN), a partnership among seven top public policy schools from around the world. GPPN is a platform for institutional partnership, research collaboration, and student exchange.
CAMPUS Asia Program
The CAMPUS Asia program has been initiated by trilateral cooperation of the governments of China, Japan and South Korea. The BESETO Consortium comprised of Peking University, Seoul National University and the University of Tokyo offers an unprecedented three-way double degree and exchange program in the fields of International Studies, Law and Public Policy in East Asia. Participating Japanese and South Korean students will be provided with financial support from each government.
*GraSPP – Sciences Po Dual Degree Program
This two-year double degree program with Sciences Po’s School of Public Affairs is designed for young professionals who want to gain expertise in the management and evaluation of public policy in both Japanese and European contexts. Students are selected separately through joint admissions by GraSPP and Sciences Po. Candidates must apply online at Sciences Po’s website. First-year students will study in Paris and the second year in Tokyo.
WHY STUDY AT GraSPP?
-Learning opportunities for future global leaders in a uniquely international environment combined with Asian values
- Renowned faculty consisting of world-class academics and public policy practitioners
- Opportunities to learn cutting-edge multidisciplinary approaches to addressing current public policy challenges
- Learning opportunities made possible by strategic partnerships with world-leading public policy schools, including the Global Public Policy Network
- Extracurricular activities, including internship opportunities, that enhance student exposure to and understanding of real-world challenges
- Locational advantage at the heart of Tokyo, offering students easy access to leading practitioners in government and business
- Network access to a growing number of alumni both in Japan and in nearly 50 countries internationally
- Affordable annual tuition (535,800 JPY, equivalent to about 5,300 USD) for attendance to one of the top universities in Japan, made possible with resources entrusted by the Japanese people and society
- Comfortable and pleasant campus life in Tokyo, one of the cleanest and safest cities in the world, facilitated and supported by dedicated staff
The GraSPP professors acquainted me with new methods of teaching along with fresh perspectives which I would not have been introduced to if I had stayed in Europe.
－Joseph Humphreys, MPPIP ’19, DD from Sciences Po
I was able to participate in a three-week internship in the Kansai Electric Power Company (KEPCO). When I was still writing my Master’s thesis in Germany on investment in the electricity sector in Japan the year before, I would have never imagined that I would ever be able to experience a Japanese electric power company from the inside!
ーFrederike Brand, MPPIP ’14, Ex from Hertie
The professors and administrative staff are genuinely invested in the success of the students here and have often gone out of their way to help us in matters both personal and academic, and are easy to reach out to.
—Kenneth Jeng, MPPIP ’18, DD from SIPA
WHY STUDY ABROAD?
– Exploring new horizons in your future professional development globally
- Opportunities to foster intellectual and practical competencies at an international level
- Access to educational resources complimentary to what GraSPP offers
- Lifelong networking opportunities with future global leaders worldwide
- Diverse cultural experiences to broaden your perspective
- Environments to enhance communication skills and adaptability outside your comfort
A nearly inexhaustible amount of career services at the LSE supports a successful move towards future ambitions. I found myself frequenting the LSE Careers website for interview preparation, reviews of application materials, and events.
—Kaori Sueyoshi, MPPIP ’19, DD to LSE
Ways of education are different between Todai and HEC Paris. Todai focuses on theoretical study, on the other hand HEC Paris put more energy on empirical research. The knowledge taught in HEC Paris is easier to be applied in real business.
—Rui Ding, MPPIP ‘ 16, Ex to HEC
Professors and classmates were all enthusiastic and supportive, it inspired me a lot. I felt that each class was more organized and perfectly managed than those at universities in Japan.
—Saki IIda, IIP ’17, Ex to LKYSPP
Application Schedule AY2021
|Application Deadline||November 16|
|GraSPP Interview||November 30th to December 4th
* Interview date will be informed to the successful applicants via e-mail by 2-3 days before the interview.
|Preliminary Announcement||Mid December|
|Document submission to the destination universities||Early February|
|Final announcement of successful applicants||March to May|
*The schedule is subject to change.
<1st step for all applicants>
1. GraSPP Application Form
Double Degree / Exchange
2. Statement of Purpose for all schools you wish to be nominated (500-1,000 words in English)
3. TOEFL/IELTS Certificate (Copy)
*Should be no more than two years old by the month in the year you apply for partner university
4. Official Academic Transcripts
<2nd step for those who are nominated by GraSPP as successful applicants>
5. Recommendation Letters (2 for D.D; 1 for Ex)
6. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
7. Personal Statement of Purpose specifically for the destination university
*Documents submission for each destination universities depend on each university.
Details will be notified to those of successful applicants of GraSPP.
PhD Student Exchange with KCL (Department of War Studies) will launch! (News released on Dec 3 2018)
(First partnership programme between KCL and UTokyo)
PhD Student Exchange with University of Copenhagen will launch! (News released on Nov 27 2018)