Type of Scholarships
Japanese Government （MEXT）Scholarship （University Recommendation） -International Priority Graduate Program: MEXT (PGP)
MEXT Scholarship (PGP) recommendation slots are now available for newly arriving students for September enrollment, AY2021.
Only current applicants for MPP/IP admissions for AY2021 who have passed the document screening are eligible. Please understand we will accept applications/answer inquiries only from the successful applicants of document screening for MPP/IP AY2021 September enrollment.
Applicants for April enrollment (MPPIP-2021) will be automatically treated as September enrollees when selected to be recommended for MEXT scholarship.
Those candidates are required to return and stay in the home country for more than three months and apply for a new student visa for September enrollment in home country.
Those who are admitted to GraSPP but not recommended for MEXT Scholarship (PGP) will remain in April enrollment. Candidates who are to be recommended from GraSPP will be announced by e-mail by March 8.
(For reference: Information of AY 2021, last updated: Feb. 3, 2021)
|Application Guidelines||MEXT Guidelines||Application Form||Research Plan Form||Questionnaire&Plege|
Type of Scholarships
|Nationality||– Be a national of ADB borrowing member country||– Be a national of WB member developing country
– Not hold a dual citizenship of a developed country
|– Be a national of: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao P.D.R., Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, PacificIsland Countries, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, SriLanka, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Vietnam|
|– Have at least 2 years of full time professional working experience (acquired after a university degree) at the time of application||– Be employed in a paid and full time position at the time of submitting the application
– Have, 3 years or more of recent paid development-related experience after earning a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree
|– Currently working for: central bank, ministry of economy, ministry of finance, ministry of planning /development, ministry of trade/commerce, tax administration, national statistics bureau, financial regulatory agencies, or officials working in other areas of government
– Minimum of 2-3 years’ work experience in the public sector will be prioritized.
Successful applicants for the Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP), the Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) and Japan-IMF Scholarship Program for Asia (JISPA) will be awarded funding covering all tuition and admission fees, as well as housing and subsistence allowance. Travel expenses between the awardees’ home countries and Tokyo will also be provided.
The Asia Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP)
- A national of an ADB borrowing member country and Japanese ODA scholarship eligible country.
- Gained admission to an approved MA/PhD course at a designated institution.
- A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent with superior academic record.
- At least two years of full-time professional working experience (acquired after a university degree) at the time of application. Proficiency in oral and written English communication skills to be able to pursue studies.
- Not more than 35 years old at the time of application. For programs which are appropriate for senior officials and managers, the age limit is 45 years old.
- In good health.
- Should agree to return to his/her home country after completion of studies under the Program.
- Executive Directors, Alternate Directors, management and staff of ADB, consultants, and close relatives of the aforementioned are not eligible for the scholarship.
- Staff of ADB-JSP partner institutions are not eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
- ADB-JSP does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
- ADB-JSP does not sponsor undergraduate studies, distance learning programs, short-term training, conferences, seminars, thesis writing, and research projects.
Check the ADB website for more detailed eligibility requirements.
- The MPP/IP Desk will contact the nominees upon announcement of admitted applicants.
- Decisions on scholarship awards will be made independently by ADB. Scholarship nominees, who will be chosen from applicants admitted to GraSPP, are required to complete the application procedures instructed by ADB scholarships, respectively.
- ADB scholarship nominees will be required to submit the scholarship application, which includes a letter of endorsement signed by your employer and the financial certificates to the MPP/IP Desk within several days after the scholarship nomination.
- The scholarship results will be announced by GraSPP.
The Joint World Bank Graduate School Program (JJ/WBGSP Partner Program scholarship)
The eligibility requirements, including the list of eligible countries, may not be available before the MPP/IP application deadline. Please be noted that there is a possibility that you will not be eligible for the scholarship at the time of scholarship nomination due to change of the WB policy. However, you may look through the guidelines for 2020 just for your reference. Please be noted the guidelines are subject to change every year.
Check the WB website for more detailed eligibility requirement.
- As the WB will conduct another selection of Partner Programs for cohorts 2021-2024, nomination procedures may be affected by the results of the selection and/or the change of Scholarship Application Guidelines at WB. Please be noted that there is a possibility that UTokyo will not be selected as the WB partner university.
- The MPP/IP Desk will contact the prospective nominees upon announcement of admitted applicants.
- WB applicants must select EPFD policy stream.
The JICA SDG’s Global Leader Program
An applicant who is a government official or academician in a developing country is eligible to apply for the scholarship program. Contact the local JICA office directly.
Check the JICA website for more details.
The Japan IMF Scholarship Program for Asia (Apply through IMF directly)
The applicant for the partnership track under IMF-JISPA is required to apply through IMF’s online application system which is available on the IMF Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific website: http://www.imf.org/external/oap/schol.htm.
For details, please follow the instructions on their website: