Step1: Preparation for the GraSPP Web Entry System
- Applicants must prepare PDF files of official documents (transcript and certificate of graduation) for uploading. (See Step 2)
- Whenever possible, please request your university to include the applicant in CC when they send the official documents to the MPP/IP Desk in an electronic format.
- If the university provides the official documents only as hard copies, the applicant needs to obtain two copies for each: one for the applicant to create a PDF file of the entire document and upload it to the Web Entry System, and the other for the university to send directly to the MPP/IP Desk.
- If the hard copy is printed on both sides or consists of several pages, please combine them into a single PDF file.
- If the transcript does not include the grading policy or scale, a copy of the webpage explaining it or a statement from the university should be included.
- Contact your referees well in advance as two reference forms must have been completed by the referees before submitting the online application.
Step2: Application Submission through the GraSPP Web Entry System and Sent from Institution
- The receipt number issued after the Application Fee Payment (click “Examination Fee”) will be needed to complete the submission.
- For details of each document, see Details of Application Documents in the Application Guidelines 2024.
|Item||Application materials etc.||Web Entry
|Directly sent from institution*|
|Required for all applicants||A||Applicant’s full-face photo||✔|
|C||Official certificate of (anticipated) graduation||✔||✔|
|D||Two references by the referees||✔|
|E||Statement of purpose||✔|
|F||Receipt number of application fee payment||✔|
|G||English proficiency test (IELTS/TOEFL) official score report||✔||✔|
|H||Scanned copy of the passport photo page||✔|
|Strongly recommended||I||GRE General Test official score report||✔||✔|
|If applicable||J||Scholarship eligibility statement||✔|
|K||Scanned copy of the residence card||✔|
*Official documents must be sent to MPP/IP Desk.
By Post: Graduate School Office, Graduate School of Public Policy
The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Important notes for all applicants
- All documents must be written in English.
- In case the applicant cannot submit the original document, a certified copy issued by the university must be submitted.
- In case the university does not issue an official document in English, 1) the original document and 2) an English translation carried out by a translator who is accredited by the applicant’s university or by a notary public must be submitted.
- Include only documents and materials listed.
- None of the submitted documents and materials shall be returned.
- Any revisions to the application documents shall not be considered after submission.
Important notes for MEXT scholarship students
- Students who already have Japanese government (Monbukagakusho, MEXT) scholarship are exempted from paying the application fee. Those applicants are required to contact the MPP/IP Desk before submitting online application.
Step 3: Response Submission to Questions Set by GraSPP in Online Timed Video/Written Assessment System (Kira Talent)
- Applicants will be invited to the internet-based timed video/written assessment platform by an email within three to ten business days after submitting the online application. Applicants will be asked to submit timed video/written responses to questions that have been pre-recorded by GraSPP.
- The invitation is sent from Kira Talent with a personalized link to the platform. The Admissions Committee virtually meet applicants through the online assessment so that the Admissions Committee can get a sense of applicants’ personality and potential, how applicants think on their feet, and how applicants convey their ideas.
- The MPP/IP Desk strongly recommends applicants to complete the online application early enough as to allow themselves some time to prepare for this assessment.
- Applicants will need an internet connection, a keyboard, a camera and a microphone with a desktop/laptop. Please note that the platform is not supported on tablets (including Microsoft Surface Pro or iPad) and there are no mobile apps available. It should take about 50 minutes to complete the responses with verbal answers and in writing. Once applicants start the questions in the formal session, they are required to go through the end of each question at one time. However, the practice session has several questions, and applicants can do as many practice sessions as they need to feel comfortable with the video interviewing. If applicants experience technological issues with the platform (practice questions, device set up, etc.), they should check the following technical support webpage https://www.kiratalent.com/support/.
- Applicants are expected to adhere to academic integrity and their behaviors are monitored electronically.
Step 4: Oral Examination
- Applicants, who passed the document screening process, will be invited to the oral examination.
- The oral examination will be conducted by an online interview.
If the applicant is found to be providing any false, plagiarized or misleading statement, incomplete or inaccurate information in any part of the application:
- the application may not be screened;
- the applicant may be denied admission; or
- the offer of admission may be withdrawn at any time, even after enrollment.