Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship (University Recommendation) – International Priority Graduate Program: MEXT (PGP)
(May 11, 2022 updated)
MEXT scholarship (University Recommendation)-International Priority Graduate Program (PGP) will be available for AY2023 (September) enrollment.
Only MPP/IP applicants for September enrollment 2023 are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Updated information is scheduled to be announced by the end of January, 2023.
For inquiries, please contact:
(Reference only) AY2022 Guidelines and forms:
ADB-JSP, JJ/WBGSP and IMF-JISPA Scholarship Programs at a Glance
|Nationality||– Be a national of ADB borrowing member country||– Be a national of WB member developing country
– Not hold a dual citizenship of a developed country
|– Be a national of: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao P.D.R., Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pacific Island Countries, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Vietnam|
|– Have at least 2 years of full time professional working experience (acquired after a university degree) at the time of application||– Be employed in a paid and full time position at the time of submitting the application
– Have, 3 years or more of recent paid development-related experience after earning a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree
|– Currently working for: central bank, ministry of economy, ministry of finance, ministry of planning /development, ministry of trade/commerce, tax administration, national statistics bureau, financial regulatory agencies, or officials working in other areas of government
– Minimum of 2-3 years’ work experience in the public sector will be prioritized.
Successful applicants for the Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP), the Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) and Japan-IMF Scholarship Program for Asia (JISPA) will be awarded funding covering all tuition and admission fees, as well as housing and subsistence allowance. Travel expenses between the awardees’ home countries and Tokyo will also be provided. Mandatory Summer Preparatory Program will be provided before enrollment. It is designed for the scholars who have been away from the academic scene for a while with some refresher courses. Writing a research paper/thesis is required for scholars of ADB-JSP, JJWBGSP and JISPA at GraSPP as proof of their academic achievement.
The Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP)
Check the ADB website for eligibility requirements.
Check the ADB website for more details.
- The MPP/IP Desk will contact the nominees upon announcement of admitted applicants.
- Decisions on scholarship awards will be made independently by ADB. Scholarship nominees, who will be chosen from applicants admitted to GraSPP, are required to complete the application procedures instructed by ADB scholarships, respectively.
- ADB scholarship nominees will be required to submit the scholarship application, which includes a letter of endorsement signed by your employer and the financial certificates to the MPP/IP Desk within several days after the scholarship nomination.
- The scholarship results will be announced by GraSPP.
The Joint World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP Participating Program)
Check the WB website for eligibility requirements.
Countries Eligible for JJWBGSP Scholarship in 2022
- Application Guidelines for JJ/WBGSP 2022 may not be available before the MPP/IP application deadline. Applicants who seek JJ/WBGSP must be admitted by GraSPP and submit an unconditional Letter of Admission to JJ/WBGSP.
The Japan IMF Scholarship Program for Asia (Apply through IMF directly)
The applicant for the partnership track under IMF-JISPA is required to apply through IMF’s online application system which is available on the IMF Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific website: http://www.imf.org/external/oap/schol.htm.
For details, please follow the instructions on their website:
The JICA SDG’s Global Leader Program
An applicant who is a government official or academician in a developing country is eligible to apply for the scholarship program. Contact the local JICA office directly.
Check the JICA website for more details.
JICA-Development Studies Program_UTokyo (2606KB)