download graspp user website pdf tell external home arrow_down arrow_left arrow_right arrow_up language mail map search tag train downloads

東京大学公共政策大学院 | GraSPP / Graduate School of Public Policy | The university of Tokyo



1.CAMPUS Asia Program

  • Q1.Is the CAMPUS Asia Program not just the program running at the University of Tokyo?
    The CAMPUS Asia Pilot Program is the name of an initiative promoted by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports and Science (MEXT) under the name "Re-Inventing Japan Project." It has been initiated through a collaboration between three countries, Japan, China and South Korea, to promote inter-university exchanges. 10 participating universities in each country run programs jointly with partner institutions in the two other countries.
    The Graduate School of Public Policy, University of Tokyo (GraSPP) was one of the 10 Japanese institutions selected to start its own CAMPUS Asia Program in 2011. GraSPP has tied up with the School of International Relations at Peking University (SIS) and the Graduate School of International Studies at Seoul National University (GSIS) to form a consortium to create three-way foreign exchange programs and double degree programs. In 2021, the framework for exchange expanded to ASEAN, with the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (LKYSPP) of the National University of Singapore (NUS).
  • Q2.Will I be able to take Chinese language and Korean language lessons while studying at PKU and SNU?
    Yes. In the CAMPUS Asia Program, all participating students are strongly encouraged to study the two languages during their periods of study abroad. Requirements vary. For Double Degree students registered with GraSPP and studying at PKU, taking the Chinese language course offered there is part of the requirements and those students will get a grade and credit. However, it is not compulsory for a Foreign Exchange student to take Chinese at PKU. Foreign Exchange students are permitted to take the Chinese language course as auditors without credit, and this we strongly encourage. While at SNU, tuition for participating students attending SNU language classes offered outside the GSIS curriculum will be fully covered. In all cases, language classes are either mutually tuition waived or fully covered by government subsidies.
  • Q3. Thesis is not required at GraSPP unless students intend to enter a PhD program. What about at PKU, SNU and NUS?
    All Double Degree students at either SNU or PKU must write a thesis at the school chosen. NUS does not require a thesis.

2.Study Abroad

  • Q1.I'm considering a Double Degree (DD) with Peking University (PKU).
    What is the timing for application?
    In principle, the accreditation system at PKU does not recognize credits earned at other universities unless the student is also registered as a student at PKU. Therefore, a typical DD student who studies at PKU in his/her 2nd year needs to be registered at PKU when that student is in their 1st year. For example, if you want to study at PKU from September 2015, it is necessary for you to apply for a double degree at PKU by the end of March 2014 to be registered as a student at PKU from September 2014. (information valid as of June 2013)
  • Q2.What level of English proficiency is required?
    The following TOEFL scores are required.
    Peking University
    (Double Degree) TOEFL iBT100 or above
    (Exchange) TOEFL iBT80 or above
    Seoul National University
    (Double Degree) TOEFL iBT80 or above (TOEFL 90-103 is required at the time of completion)
    (Exchange) TOEFL is not required (GPA 3.3 or above)
    National University of Singapore
    (Double Degree) TOEFL iBT 100 or above

    The main purpose of this study abroad program is not to strengthen students' English skills. The program is meant to enable those students who already have sufficient English proficiency to study their areas of expertise in greater depth. Although students with relatively low TOEFL scores can apply for this program, they are expected to understand that their goal is to advance their specialist expertise and that, in order to achieve this, they must make serious efforts to reach the required level of English competence before study abroad.
  • Q3.I want to join the CAMPUS Asia Program. Is it possible in this program to opt to go to just one of the partner universities?
    No. You are required to earn credits at two of the partner universities. A three-way academic and cultural experience is the cornerstone of this program. We offer participating students a unique opportunity to broaden their intellectual horizons, and this is not negotiable.
  • Q4.I am a student in GraSPP but am not in the CAMPUS Asia Program. Can I study at NUS, SNU or PKU?
    Call for applications for foreign exchange and double degree programs will be made if it is available.
    Please check the latest information in the link below.
  • Q5.Can students from PKU, SNU, and NUS take Japanese language classes at GraSPP?
    Yes. International students at GraSPP can take Japanese language classes offered by UTokyo according to their level, and CAMPUS Asia students from partner universities in particular are strongly encouraged to take the language classes. Japanese language classes are free of charge.