Details of Application Documents
A. Application Form
- Fill in all information needed.
B. Photograph of Your Face
- A color photograph for passport use taken within the last six months.
C. Official Transcript
- The transcript must be an original hard copy that includes all courses, grades and grading policy or scale certified with the seal/stamp of the universities in which applicants are or were enrolled. Duplicated copies shall not be accepted.
- If the transcript does not include the grading policy or scale, a copy of webpage explaining it or a letter certified with the seal/stamp of the university should be included.
- If available, a cumulative GPA (Grade Point Average) must be included. The GPA statement should be part of the official transcript, or, if separate, must be certified with the seal/stamp of the university. It must include an explanation of the numerical values used to calculate the average.
- If available, an authorized certificate of class ranking may also be included.
- If the applicant has changed the applicant’s university or participated in exchange programs and if the applicant’s home university does not report grades earned, name of courses and dates of attendance, he/she must include official transcripts from all the former universities or colleges.
D. Official Certificate of Graduation
- The certificate must be an original hard copy that includes the name of degree and the date the degree was awarded and be certified with the seal/stamp of the university from which the applicant earned the bachelor degree. Duplicated copies shall not be accepted. (Please do not send the original diploma.)
- Those who have not yet graduated from their course of study at the time of application, are requested to submit an authorized statement of anticipated graduation.
- If the name of degree and the date the degree was awarded are contained in the Official Transcript, applicants do not have to submit the Official Proof of Graduation.
E. Two Letters of Reference: Required that the referees submit through the online system directly
- Applicants must request two referees to write a reference each and be sure that the two letters of reference have been submitted before submitted the online application.
- If applicants have working experience, consider acquiring the letter from professional supervisors.
F. Statement of Purpose
- The length of the Statement of Purpose is up to eight hundred (800) words.
- In this statement, applicants must include a detailed explanation of their motivation to apply for MPP/IP, what to study at GraSPP and how it relates to their future career paths.
G. Receipt Number of Application Fee Payment
- Applicants must provide the 12-digit receipt number, which appears on the result screen of the University of Tokyo’s online payment system “e-shiharai” upon completion of payment.
- Method of payment: By credit card via e-shiharai
Refer to https://e-shiharai.net/english/ for instructions.
- “Examination Fee”→“Agree”about the Personal Information Management →“The University of Tokyo (Graduate Schools)” →“Graduate School of Public Policy”→“Master of Public Policy”→“MPP/IP application JPY 10,000”If the instruction does not appear properly, please contact MPP/IP Desk.
- Application Fee: JPY10,000 (Non-refundable)
Japanese government (Monbukagakusho, MEXT) scholarship students are exempted from paying the application fee as well as the admission fee and annual tuition. If applicable, please submit a certificate of MEXT scholarship student.
H. English Proficiency (IELTS/TOEFL) Test Official Score Report: Required that the testing organizaion send to GraSPP directly
- IELTS or TOEFL test must have been taken within two years prior to the deadline for online application.
- Before the online application deadline, applicants must request the testing organization to send IELTS Test Report Form or TOEFL Institutional Score Report to GraSPP.
- IELTS Test Report Form must be in Academic Module Test.
- ETS Institution Code 8554 must be used in sending TOEFL Institutional Score Report.
- If GraSPP does not receive IELTS Test Report Form or TOEFL Institutional Score Report (Test Date Scores) that has an identical set of scores and test date as in the online application, the application will be deemed as withdrawn.
- The institutional Score Report of PBT or iBT is acceptable. (ITP is not acceptable.) Test Date Scores are only accepted. Applicants cannot use MyBest Scores for application.
- In the case the applicant cannot submit TOEFL or IELTS scores due to reasons beyond the control of the applicant, the reason must be stated in the application form.
(English Proficiency Requirement Exemption)
There will be no exemption unless listed below.
- An applicant who has recieved an English-medium education for at least four years of the first six years of their schooling and at least five years of the second six years of their schooling in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK or the U.S.A.
- An applicant who earned or is expected to earn a bachelor’s degree, or the international equivalent thereof, from an institution, where the primary language of the entire institution (not only the applicant’s department or program) is English, in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the U.K. or the U.S.A.
- An applicant who earned or is expected to earn a bachelor’s degree, or the international equivalent thereof, from an institution, where the primary language of the entire institution (not only the applicant’s department or program) is English in countries other than Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the U.K. or the U.S.A. If an applicant falls into this category, he/she is required to contact the MPP/IP Desk by December 7 to be pre-checked and send a certificate of medium of Instruction issued by the institution by mail. The applicant also must submit the certificate by uploading to the web entry system and then by post. The MPP/IP Desk cannot guarantee that the pre-check can be done by the application deadline if the inquiry arrives at the MPP/IP Desk after December 7, which could result in non-eligibility for English exemption.
The certificate of medium of Instruction must be printed on an official letterhead and it must bear the following information: 1. Name of the university, 2. Date of issue, 3. Applicant’s name, 4. Date of degree conferral, 5. Name of the degree conferred, 6. Description that the medium of instruction at the entire institution, not only at the applicant’s department or program, is English, and 7. Name, job title and contact email address of the person who certifies the above information.
I. Scanned Copy of Passport Portrait Page
- A scanned copy of the applicant’s portrait page
- Applicants who do not currently possess a passport may submit a copy of a census register or other proof of citizenship.
J. GRE General Test Official Score Report: Required that ETS send to GraSPP directly
- The GRE test must have been taken within five years prior to the deadline for online application.
- Before the online application deadline, applicants must rquest ETS to send the Offical Institution Score Report to GraSPP.
- The ETS Institution Code 3944 must be used in sending GRE Offical Institution Score Report.
- If GraSPP does not receive the GRE Official Institution Score Report that has an identical set of scores and test date as in the online application, the application will be deemed as withdrawn.
K. Scholarship Eligibility Statement (if applicable)
- GraSPP offers several scholraship opportunities for admitted MPP/IP applicants. Applicants who seek scholarships should carefully read “Scholarships” on the GraSPP website and check the scholraship eligiblity.
L. Scanned Copy of Award Letter (if applicable)
- A scanned copy of award letter from a scholarship provider showing the total sum of the scholarship in Japanese yen or US dollars as well as the general terms and conditions of the scholarship
M. Scanned Copy of Resident Card (if applicable)
- A scanned copy of resident card issued by Immigration Bureau of Japan (Zairyu Card) – both sides for international applicants seeking April enrollment
L. Original Certificate of Medium of Instruction (if applicable)
- Only applicants requesting exemption of H. English roficiency (IELTS/TOEFL) Test Official Score Report